Hello there all you lovely people!
So, in my world, it's only been 2 weeks since I last wrote...but in real world time, it's been a month. Being in the desert every other week is messing with my sense of time, but I'm learning to deal with it.
Well, I have spent my time away in "boy land". I worked with the same group of guys for my last 3 shifts and, man, it was an experience. I have really only worked with girls prior to this experience. I babysit girls, I hang out with girls, and I can be quite the girly girl when given the chance (I definitely have a huge tom-boy streak in me though!). So, being thrown into a boys group and, for one of those weeks, being the only one to represent estrogen dominance, I learned a lot. I don't think I have ever heard so many conversations about farting, burping, sports, and women. But, in that time, I learned how to assimilate into the group. I had my share of awesome burps and I definitely showed some of the boys up with my sports knowledge. I represented the ladies well!!! I also learned that, while hanging out with the guys is fun, I genuinely need my girlfriends! I need someone to giggle with, to talk about periods and mood swings, and to just plain be a girl! Some good things to learn... I also summited a mountain with the group, have continued to go to the farmers market every week, done some camping, and now feel like I finally have an established group of friends. I still miss home more than words, but it's finally starting to feel like I live out here in Utah.
Something that has been on my mind a lot is missing home. As most of you know, this is the longest I have gone without seeing anyone from home and easily the farthest I have ever lived from those I love most. I am realizing how blessed my life actually is. I have a family who is willing to support me wherever I am. They call, skype, and pray for me, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they love me. I can feel their support from the other side of the country and I know that if I needed anything that they would be there doing whatever they could. That's a blessing that I can honestly say I didn't fully appreciate till now. But I am thankful that I am learning this now and not 10 years down the road!
I also realize what a truly amazing group of friends I have back east, especially from college. We are all writing in a notebook and sending it around to each other (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants style!). I was almost in tears when I opened the package and saw the notebook!!! I felt so close to each and every one of them... But that these are ladies that I can and have laughed with, cried with, drank with, danced and sang with, and have bore my soul and deepest secrets to and who have reciprocated those actions...that is truly amazing. We lived through the craziness of "senior year-18 credit-all 400 level classes-psych hell" together and it made our great friendship virtually unbreakable. Even though we are spread across 3, sometimes 4, states, we still all talk, laugh, and share life with each other. I can honestly say that not only will all of them be at my future wedding, but that most of them will be in it. It's in being separated by almost an entire country and being isolated that I realize what absolute gems these amazing ladies are. I love them all so much and have absolutely no idea what I would do without their love and support!!!
And last, but most certainly not least, there is my amazing boyfriend. Again, even though 2500 miles separate us, I can still feel his love and support all the way over here. The distance honestly sucks!!! It's so hard to see his face on skype, but not be able to kiss and hug him. But where the distance has taken away the physical, it has strengthened all the other aspects. We are growing in faith together, we are growing in our trust of each other's actions, we are being more open and honest, and most of all, we are learning how to best love each other the best we can with the tools that we have. It's hard and I can honestly say that, some days, the distance is almost unbearable. But it helps to know that we are in this together and can lean on each other for support. Knowing that there is a purpose behind everything is also a big help.
Anyway...I guess, in my missing home, I am simply counting my blessings. Realizing that I have an amazingly solid community that will be there when I get back is one of the greatest gifts I could ever ask for. So, to those who love and support me back east...THANK YOU!!!
Have a wonderful week everyone!
Love,
L
P.S. Be excited for next week's post...my parents are coming out to visit!!!!! CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!! =)
Oh girl!!! I love how honest you are on here!!! I love you too!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd....please do not worry about not having enough girl time. All that you have missed for girl talk will be made up for when you come out here! :)