Saturday, June 30, 2012

Blood and Water are More Similar Than You Would Think...

Hello Everyone!!!

It's been a busy few days for me! Lots of time in the car and time spent with amazing people.

I started on Wed. afternoon...I headed down to Worcester to visit a very dear friend of mine.  She was one of my first friends at school.  We lived a few doors down on the same floor and became best friends pretty fast.  Aside from how we look, we are almost identical. Both of us are adopted, have to work really hard in school, love sports, and have a very similar family structure, among MANY other things. She is pretty wonderful. Its one of those friendships that has been tested with time and distance and is able to be continued at the next encounter like no time has passed.  Love this girl =)


I then proceeded to drive up to Maine to visit another friend. This one is a newer friendship, but a great one.  We have only known each other for a few months, but in that time, we have realized that we share so many common ideologies, memories, and quirks...especially when it comes to our heritage and up bringing. Both our moms are under 5 feet tall and are wonderfully Italian. Through just that commonality alone, we have been able to laugh till we cry about the -isms that have been born of our mothers.  She is one of the kindest people I know and is a wonderful friend. I can't wait for the years to come!



When I got home, I was able to spend time with another wonderful person.  This girl has lived down the street for the majority of my life.  Our parents are good friends and I have gone to church with her from even before I can remember.  We apparently were even in day-care together when we were really little.  She is easily one of my oldest friends...our relationship is to the point where I think of her more of a sister than a friend.  She is one of those friends who can read me from one look...and I can do the same for her.  We don't get to see each other too often anymore because our schools are pretty far apart, but skype dates keep us close and the hugs are felt for months after they have ended. She is truly amazing.

That night, my parents and I went to the drive-in with some friends to see Brave. Side note...PLEASE go see that movie!!!! I absolutely loved it!!!!!!! Anyway...this couple is easily defined as my second set of parents.  Their son is 9 months older than me and I grew up next door to them.  Both of them tease me (and love me) like I was their own.  They are great people.

Today, I spent the day babysitting my cousin's 2 boys.  The older one is 6 and the younger one is 4.  They are great kids.  So fun to hang out with.  We were running around all day playing in the pool, playing basketball and foosball, and CandyLand.  I only have a younger sister, so I didn't really grow up with a whole lot of guys my age, but I must say, little guys are super fun.  If today was any indication, I could totally be a mom to a few boys thrown in with the girls.

After I dropped them back at home, I went to church with my family to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary of one of our good family friends.  This couple acts a lot like another set of grandparents to my sister and I.  They come to most of the concerts, plays and sporting events for the both of us.  It is so obvious that they love the both of us as their own.  At that party was our church family.  I have been going to church with the same people my whole life and I think of them as family as much as I would uncles, aunts, grandparents and cousins.  They mean the world to me.



As i write this, I realize that 1. this is really long and I apologize and 2. that there are so many amazing people that I didn't get to see this trip.  I am absolutely blessed beyond words and any kind of measure with and by the people who populate my little world.  I have so many amazing mentors both old and young.  I have a few best friends, a very large handful of close friends, and a whole bunch of really pleasant people that I get to bump into all the time.

Most of my family lives rather far away and we don't usually get to see them except for the annual cousin's get together, weddings, funerals, and some holidays.  However, this is where I have to argue with the old phrase "blood is thicker than water".  Yes, I realize that my family is my family...that will never change and I will love them forever.  However, I am as in love with this other "family" that has been created.  Friends who have proved their loyalty in good times and bad, who have stood the test of time, who have always been there to listen, and who constantly offer unconditional love...that's another family of mine.  And I love them just as much as they love me.

Just some thoughts...

Sleep well, lovelies!
L

2 comments:

  1. okay. so i was skimming, just so i could look at your pictures, because i don't have time to read your whole post right now, but I WILL!!!! I SWEAR!!! anyways......i'm really sad that I didn't get to see you and steph!!! I want a bean boot picture with all 3 of us!!!!!!! It's not fair!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =) You're the best! I am sad we didn't get to see you either!!! But we WILL get a bean boot picture! 9 weeks and a day...that's it till we are all reunited in bromskies!!! That's a little bittersweet, but I am more excited than bitter about that one. Can't wait for new adventures!

      Delete