Good morning beautiful people!!!
So, it's been a while!!! I wish I had time to blog more when I was up in the woods, but being a mom 24 hours a day 7 days a week to those kids takes a lot of time. I definitely had time for myself, but decided that forming deep and meaningful relationships with the amazing women I worked with was more important than being on my computer, alone.
So, I'm thinking that, because there are so many thoughts swirling around in my head, that doing a stream of consciousness thing would be the best way to communicate what's up...so here goes!
1. I am listening to Dar Williams right now (and if you don't know who she is, you should DEFINITELY check her out...really raw, honest music) and it totally brings me right back to camp. Everything from the acoustic guitar to the messages of her songs...wow. I already miss it.
2. The people I met, formed relationships with, and who I now call friends are some of the most amazing people I have ever encountered. F&W has a way of bringing truly wonderful, honest, loving, brilliant, tolerant beings to it. I am absolutely in love with the physical place (and will get to that later), but the people are truly what makes that place my home. The universal idea of love is so vibrant and alive there. Everyone knows that when you wake up, your only job is to love people. Wheather thats loving your kids with everything you have, building something for camp, stepping up as a leader, or showing love some other way, everyone understands that thats just how life works there. The community in that place is something that I have yet to see anywhere else.
3. Camp has a way of leaving me feeling empowered, and I absolutely love it. Leaving there, I feel like I am finally ok with where I am in life. I am so happy with my decision not to go to nursing school. I know that I will be successful after college and that I will get a job. I am a smart, competent, quick learner and a good person...I'll be ok. I also feel like I finally have the capability to push against society's idea of success and what life "should" look like. Who says that I have to go to grad school right away. Why can't I live in the mountains, work at camps and lead trips? Who says that isn't ok and that I am not just as successful in my life as a businesswoman is in hers? I still don't know exactly what I want to do, but again, I am ok with that. I am a baby! I don't have to have my life figured out at 21.
4. I want to do a better job bringing my camp self back to the "real world". When I am in the woods, I spend maybe 25 seconds every day looking in a mirror...and thats only to put in my contacts. I don't really care what I look like. My hair is pulled back somehow and I never wear makeup. I take care of myself, but as long as I don't smell horrible, no one really cares. I realize that living in society is a little different. And I also understand that I do enjoy wearing nice things and looking good. But I want to bring more of who I am at camp out here. I want to be in the woods more. I want to go camping and hiking on weekends. I want to make sure that I keep nurturing my love of being in the woods, even when I get into the busyness and craziness of school.
5. The physical place that Indian Brook is is so amazing to me. I love where I am when I am there and quite literally wouldn't trade that for anything. Being right on the lake but still nestled in a beautiful valley between a few mountains is absolutely beautiful. There is something about that place that keeps drawing me to it. I love nothing more than being outside all 24 hours of the day.
6. The friends I made at camp this summer, I absolutely wouldn't trade for anything. I love that I was able to go back and see a lot of the women I formed friendships with last summer and to continue and grow those relationships. But I also LOVE that, even in the short time that I was there, that I was able to form new and lasting relationships with women who weren't at camp last summer. Those old and new friendships are amazing to me. I share something with them that the majority of the rest of the world doesn't get. We share lots of the same values, taste in music, idea of how we want to live, our love of and investment in kids, our love of being in the woods...things like that. And it's something that I miss being surrounded by already...I want it back.
Well...thats the majority of whats swirling around up in my head for right now. And I also have to go get ready for church.
So, with that, love to all of you. Have a wonderful day!!! =)
Love,
L
No comments:
Post a Comment