Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Getting Lost...

Greetings beautiful people!

So, I went for a run yesterday morning on the island.  This is my first time out here, so I went on this running website and looked up some routes.  When I didn't find one that starred close to the house, I just made one myself.  What they don't tell you over here is that only SOME of the streets have signs on them!  So, I headed out and resigned myself to the fact that I would make a few wrong turns and have a 4ish mile run rather than a 3.5...well, that was a severe underestimation.  I got to the main road I was supposed to, but then turned the wrong way. It looked like it might be the wrong way too. Enter cute guy running up behind me saying hi....it all went down hill from there.  I asked him if I was going the right way to get to a certain street and he said he thought so.  I found out later that he is from CT and lives in DC...and has been up to the island 2 or 3 times. Yea......... So I ran with him for a little bit and he left me on the road that he thought would get me there.  So, after he left, it occurred to me that I have a GPS on my phone.  I should have checked it wayyyy earlier than I did. I saw that I was a ways away from where I wanted to be, but not too far away...then I kept running, and running, and running, and running some more. Long story short, I ended up doing 7 miles instead of 3.  Needless to say that spending the day laying around on the beach sounded like a wonderful idea. Even though I did get lost, it was kinda fun.  I do enjoy seeing new places and meeting new people.

I kinda have a thing for getting lost...I do it way more than I care to admit, both on the road and in life.  My Dad will tell you all kinds of stories about my lack of a sense of a direction.  Some of them are pretty bad. But in life, I tend to get a little lost too.

I have recently decided to switch majors and to peruse something different.  I was on the track to go to nursing school after graduation, but now, I am a psych major and don't really know what I want to do.  I know the things I enjoy and I have an end goal in mind, but I have no idea how to get there.  I love nutrition, health, exercise, wellness, and the outdoors, but I also love kids, anatomy, and creating and nurturing relationships with people.  After several conversations and doing some research, I want to work within school districts and help with the reformation of the school lunch program.  I want to run after school programs that teach kids about nutrition and exercise.  While this is an awesome goal, I don't know exactly how to get there. There are a lot of different routes I could take to get there, but I haven't decided which one to take yet.

If you haven't guessed yet, I really enjoy having a plan.  I like structure and organization...a lot.  However, I am learning to appreciate the lack of it.  I do like just getting in the car and driving and seeing where I end up.  I like just deciding to do something one Saturday night and just going.  I am not the biggest fan of change, but I am learning to adapt.  It is in this season of life that I am really being forced to go with the flow.  I have absolutely no idea what my life will look like in 3 months, let alone at graduation.  This is something that has been a long time coming for me...I know it. But it's ok. (I say this now, but when things aren't going my way in a few months, I won't be this happy) I'll adapt as I go, and if I have to work some jobs that aren't the most fun for a little while, well...at least they will pay the rent =)

Off to help with making dinner and heading out to watch some fire works!!!

Happy 4th everyone! <3
L

No comments:

Post a Comment